Currently: Heading up Tankman Media, home to the Front Row Grunt rugby website, and a media company looking to build a few more websites and apps while offering consulting services on making content work across multiple platforms, social media strategy, writing, MC’ing, and broadcasting on a per project basis.
Tank’s current activities and responsibilities include:
- Live crossings to various radio stations to review and preview the rugby activity of the weekend.
- MC’ing events and hosting Q&A sessions with selected sports celebs for the likes of SAB, the Charles Glass Society and Wynberg Old Boys Union.
- Regular rugby ramblings on his Front Row Grunt blog, for which he was nominated for an SAB Journalism Award in 2010.
- Tweeting on rugby to over 6 500 followers via his @Front RowGrunt Twitter account.
- Running the Front Row Grunt Facebook page
And in Tank’s past …
2007 – 2011: Publisher & Editor of Sport24.co.za – the biggest sport website in SA.
2001 to 2007 – Head of New Media at Touchline Media, now Media24 magazines
1995 to 2000 – Head of Touchline Photo, now Gallo Images
1995: Spent the month of the Rugby World Cup as assistant to then RWC director, Leo Williams.
- 2006 – Completed the Stanford University “Publishing on the Web” course in San Francisco.
- 2003 – Completed the Media Management Programme run by the University of Stellenbosch.
- 1994 – Read a post-graduate diploma in management (Marketing) at UCT
- 1993 – Graduated from UCT with a Bachelor of Social Science, majoring in Economics
Non-academic achievements at UCT:
- Played rugby for: Western Province senior XV (playing in the Currie Cup and on a tour to New Zealand and Australia), SA Universities /20 XV, U.C.T 1st XV, Western Province /20, league and “B” XV’s.
- Received “Full Blue” for rugby in 1992, 1993 and 1994
- Awarded the Smuts Hall “Sportsman of the year” in 1992
- 1988 – Matriculated from the Diocesan College (Bishops)
- 1989 – Remained at Bishops to do Post-Matric.
- Played SA Schools rugby
- School and House prefect in both 1988 and 1989
- Sergeant in the Cadet Corps
- House rugby, athletics and waterpolo captain
- Captain of the school Athletics team
- School first teams for waterpolo, swimming, athletics and rugby
- Provincial colours for athletics and rugby
- Distinction tie for rugby
And as a person … As important to making a success of his career, is being able to balance that by making the most of hours spent outside the office. He is mad about sport – both participating (golf, cycling, the odd triathlon, and gym) and watching (rugby and cricket primarily, but all of golf, F1, athletics, swimming and even Strongman competitions will keep him on the couch). Friends and family are massively important to Tank, so spending time with them while doing something active and fun is pretty much top notch for the big man.